Please enable JavaScript to view this page.
Financial Aid

Think big. Don’t pay big. 

At Delta you can get the first two years of your bachelor’s degree for less than half what you’d pay at a public university. When you’re ready, your credits can easily transfer to your university of choice.  

Plus, you get the same great education with professors who see your potential, are dedicated to teaching and are really good at it.

The Financial Aid Office assists students of the Great Lakes Bay Region with the financial resources to achieve their academic goals.

Apply for financial aid by filling out the FAFSA.

Even some scholarships require you to fill out the FAFSA first. It’s pretty straightforward and if you have questions along the way, just ask us. We’re here to help.

Biology students in lab


The financial aid process can be a little daunting, so we hold regular workshops to help you through the process. See you there!

Financial Aid EVENTS

Types of financial aid

  • Grants & Scholarships – money you don’t have to pay back
  • Student loans
    • Subsidized – interest starts when you’re done taking classes
    • Unsubsidized – interest starts when you take out the loan
    • PLUS - A loan your parent can borrow for your educational expenses
    • Alternative Loans - available to students that may not qualify for federal student loans
  • Work-study – money you earn at a part-time job on campus
Federal aid
Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

On March 23, 2018, the President signed Public Law 115-141, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, which included an amendment to Section 473(b) of the Higher Education Act, authorizing the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship.

Under this scholarship, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.

To qualify for this scholarship, you must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death. In subsequent award years, you continue to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as you have a Pell-eligible EFC and continue to be an eligible student.


For purposes of the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, a public safety officer is:

As defined in section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C. 3796b); or

A fire police officer, defined as an individual who is serving in accordance with State or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic in response to any fire drill, fire call, or other fire, rescue, or police emergency, or at a planned special event.


The Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship requires the institution’s financial aid administrator (FAA) to determine and document, in collaboration with the student, that the student was less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death. A single, national data source of individuals who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer does not exist. Here are some examples of documents that you will need to submit to serve as proof of eligibility:

  • A determination letter acknowledging eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the Department of Justice;
  • A written letter of attestation or determination made by a state or local government official with supervisory or other relevant oversight authority of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
  • Documentation of the student qualifying for a state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety officer consistent with the definition in 42 U.S.C. 3796b, or as a fire police officer as noted above; or
  • Other documentation the school determines to be from a credible source that describes or reports the circumstances of the death and the occupation of the parent or guardian.

If you have any questions or believe that you qualify for this scholarship, please contact our office.


You will be eligible for the maximum Pell Grant for your enrollment status and cost of attendance.

Federal Pell Grant

To be considered, complete the FAFSA each academic year. Award eligibility varies. Eligible students must demonstrate financial need as determined by the federal methodology, meet standards of academic progress, not owe due to an over award or be in default on any Title IV Aid, and be working toward a Delta College academic degree or certificate.

Eligibility for Federal Pell Grant is prorated based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by your FAFSA.  Some students, based on EFC, lose eligibility at less than 12 credits.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012 reduces the duration of a student's Pell grant eligibility to a 12-semester (full-time) lifetime limit. Students who have received Pell grant funds for the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters will not be eligible to receive this grant for future semesters. Full-time enrollment is defined as 12 or more credits per semester.

How do you know if you are nearing your lifetime limit? Your SAR (Student Aid Report - results from completing your FAFSA) will report the amount of Federal Pell Grant that you have received. You may also review the results at Federal Student Aid by logging in with your FSA ID

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

To apply, complete the FAFSA each academic year. Those students with the most financial need as determined by federal methodology will be considered first. Eligible students must also meet standards of academic progress, not owe a refund or be in default on any Title IV Aid, and be working toward a Delta College academic degree or certificate.

Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant

To be considered, complete the FAFSA each academic year.

This award is for students who are not Federal Pell Grant eligible; whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01; and who, at the time of the parent's or guardian's death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. The maximum award is adjusted for less-than-full time study. The grant award is not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Michigan aid 
Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)

To be eligible, you must complete the CVTG Application and the FAFSA.

Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years and a total of up to $11,200.  Awards are for an academic year with the amount determined by the student’s enrollment status. Full-time students can receive up to a maximum of $2,800 per academic year, three-quarter time students up to $2,100, and half-time students up to $1,400 or an amount equal to all of the student’s eligible tuition in that academic year, whichever is less. Future awards are subject to available and approved funding.

Renewal Requirements

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and maintain a minimum cumulate GPA of 2.25.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit MI Student Aid.

Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS)

To be eligible you must complete a current-year FFS Application prior to the deadline and also complete the FAFSA.

The Fostering Futures Scholarship provides scholarships to young adults who have experienced foster care. The State of Michigan works with individuals, community organizations, and businesses to encourage charitable contributions that go towards Fostering Futures Scholarship funds. Awards are paid directly to the student's institution to assist with unmet need in one or more of the following categories: Tuition/Fees, Room/Board and Books/Supplies.

Renewal Requirements

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit MI Student Aid.

Futures for Frontliners Scholarship

Futures for Frontliners is a scholarship program that provides eligible frontline workers with tuition assistance to pursue an associate degree or a certificate at their local community college. This program is a last dollar scholarship and pays in-district rates for one degree.  Some course specific fees are not eligible for the frontliners scholarship.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit Futures for Frontliners

Michigan GEAR UP Educational Award

To be eligible you must complete the FAFSA and have successfully completed the MI GEAR Up six-year program.

Each participating MI-GEAR UP partner will be allotted a specific number of educational awards. They must provide a rank order list of 2017 graduating seniors who have successfully participated in the program for six years and met the nomination requirements. Only nominated MI-GEAR UP participants will be eligible to be considered for an educational award. The Michigan Department of Treasury, Student Scholarships and Grants (SSG), will provide educational awards to the highest ranked students based on the amount of educational funds available.

Selected nominees may receive an educational award for up to three academic years to be completed within four years from the date of award. The maximum award amount a student may receive is $1,000 per year for at least half-time enrollment, which will be divided into equal amounts by semester or term. The maximum educational award is $3,000. MI-GEAR UP funds may be used for educational cost, including Estimated Family Contribution (EFC); not to exceed the cost of attendance. Future awards are subject to available and approved funds. Eligibility for late awards can be made if funds are available and must be awarded and used within six years of high school graduation.

Renewal Requirements

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit MI Student Aid.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship Program (MCS)

The Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS) program is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degree at an approved Michigan postsecondary institution. Students must demonstrate both financial need and merit. Eligible applicants must achieve a qualifying SAT score of at least 1200 prior to entering college. (NOTE: Prior to the Class of 2017, eligible applicants must have achieved a qualifying ACT score of at least 23 (composite) or 90 (scaled score) prior to entering college.)

Applicants must file the FAFSA. Students whose FAFSA is received by March 1 will receive priority consideration. The FAFSA allows students to list multiple colleges when filing. Because Student Scholarships and Grants (SSG) does not know which college the student will select, the award is based on the first college listed. Students must file a renewal FAFSA every year to determine possible continued program eligibility.

Awards are restricted to tuition and mandatory fees. Awards pay up to a maximum of $1,000 per academic year at an approved Michigan community college or public university.  Students must be enrolled at least half-time. Program eligibility ends when a student has received a baccalaureate degree, after completing the equivalent of ten semesters (or term equivalent), or when a student has been out of high school over ten years, whichever occurs first.

Be sure to provide your Social Security number to SSG by phone your senior year in high school.

Renewal Requirements

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit MI Student Aid.

Michigan Reconnect Scholarship

Reconnect is a scholarship program for Michigan residents 25 years or older and provide tuition assistance to pursue an associate degree or certificate at their local community college. This program is a last dollar scholarship and pays in-district rates for one degree.  Some course specific fees are not eligible for the Reconnect scholarship.

For additional award eligibility requirements, visit Michigan Reconnect

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

Eligible students must be under the age of 20 at the time of high school graduation/GED completion and have been a Medicaid recipient. TIP covers up to 30 credit hours per academic year and pays most fees up to $250 each semester. TIP requires you to be enrolled in at least six credit hours within your degree or certificate program. You must complete the FAFSA before any eligibility can be determined.

To receive TIP at Delta College, you must indicate Delta as your college selection choice each year. You can do this by listing Delta as your first college choice on the FAFSA, by logging into the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling the Michigan Department of Treasury, Office of Scholarships and Grants at 1-888-447-2687. TIP eligibility letters will no longer be needed and will not be provided to students by the State..

You must also submit a copy of your high school diploma/GED to the Financial aid Office to be considered for this award.

Renewal Requirements

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

For additional award eligibility requirements, please visit MI Student Aid.

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW)

To be eligible you must complete the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Application.

Students with one-quarter minimum Native American blood quantum, who are enrolled members of a federally recognized tribe and legal residents of Michigan for one year or more may qualify. ITW covers tuition only, for any number of credits. For more information, please visit the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.

Renew Requirements

If you maintain consecutive enrollment each semester, the Financial Aid Office will process your MITW award each academic year.  If you have a break in enrollment, please contact the Financial Aid Office so your award can be processed again.

Institutional aid
Adult Education Scholarship (AES)

The AES scholarship is a one-time award of $500 for the Fall semester. Recipients must be in-district, graduate from an eligible Adult or Alternative Education program, and have demonstrated academic achievement with the desire for a post-secondary education. The award can be used for direct and indirect educational expenses.

Private scholarships

This would include money given to the College by a private donor. For additional information please visit the scholarship page.

Other financial aid resources

Students interested in obtaining additional education or training to re-enter the workforce should explore potential funding opportunities through their local Michigan Works and Michigan Rehabilitation Services agencies.

Veterans can also find Educational Benefits information through the Delta College Veteran Services Office.

The Michigan Education and Training Voucher Program also helps students fund their college education.

Study abroad program

Delta's Study Abroad program gives you the opportunity to travel and see the world. Did you know that you may qualify for financial aid or scholarships specifically for your travels? 

Financial aid information for study abroad
Fill out the FAFSA

You must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA) form for the same academic period in which you plan to study abroad. The FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility for Pell Grant and other Federal and State grants, Federal Loans (need-based and non-need based), work-study, and many Delta College grants and scholarships.

Figure other expenses

Before applying to a study abroad program, check for program expenses. In addition to the program fee, consider the cost of tuition and fees, airfare, passport, visa, immunizations, and spending money. While the amount of your aid may be increased due to the additional costs involved in studying abroad (flight, cost of living, etc.), do not assume you will be awarded 100% of the money needed to cover the costs of your program. Always seek additional or alternative sources of funding.

Paying in advance

The cost of your airfare can be included in your financial aid package, but you will receive your airline bill from the travel agency/airlines before your financial aid funds are released. You will also be required to pay any deposits before your financial aid is disbursed; therefore, you will need to make arrangements to pay these bills in advance.

Maintain financial aid requirements
  • For scholarships and grants, you need to maintain the enrollment level required for each aid program listed on your award letter.
  • Credit level required for Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan eligibility for all semesters is at least half-time. For undergraduates half-time is 6-8 credits; 3/4 time is 9-11 credits; and full-time is 12 credits.
  • The study abroad advisor will report to the Financial Aid Officer the number of credits you indicated on your application. If you change this credit amount so that it changes your status (half-time, 3/4 time, full-time), it is your responsibility to report this change to the Financial Aid Office. Some loans require full-time enrollment, and in some cases, part-time enrollment reduces eligibility.
Scholarship opportunities

The Delta College Foundation offers study abroad scholarships that can help you fund your study abroad program.

Please visit the Study Abroad page for more information.


We want to make sure you have enough information to make an informed decision when it comes to financial aid. Here are a few resources that might help you along the way.

Financial Literacy

Delta College has several resources for our community and students to increase financial knowledge and well-being.


financial aid complaints

Students who have complaints about financial aid should first work with a Financial Aid Advisor in the Financial Aid Office to resolve the dispute.

Financial Aid Office (D101)

Should the dispute not be resolved after working with the financial aid staff, students may ask to be forwarded to the Director of Financial Aid.

The Financial Aid Office will review all complaints sent directly to the Director of Financial Aid, Dean of Students, Vice President of Student and Educational Services, President of the College and all other officials who may receive a complaint regarding issues with financial aid. All complaints are taken seriously, and will be viewed and responded to promptly.

Formal complaints can be submitted via the Delta College General Concern/Complaint Reporting Form

If the dispute is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, there are resources outside of the college that may assist:

SUCCESS TIP: Apply for financial aid, even if you don't think you'll qualify.

It's not a waste of time because lots of scholarships require you to apply for financial aid. Plus, you may be eligible for more than you think.

Less than half the cost

Less than half the cost of a public university, with the same quality education.

Interest free tuition plan

An interest-free tuition plan that spreads out your payments.

50 percent

Half of Delta students receive some form of assistance.

"Without the scholarships and financial aid I received at Delta College, I wouldn't be where I am today." 

Jody Hill
Delta Graduate & Student Athlete
Going for the pros