Having work experience will build your résumé while you also gain valuable workplace skills. This makes you more marketable for that full-time dream job you are seeking after you earn your degree or certificate here at Delta College. We can help connect you to job shadow opportunities, internships and co-op employment and apprenticeship programs.
Get to Know a field with job shadowing
Not quite ready to commit to employment in a specific job? It’s ok. We get it. Let us help you discover what is a good fit for you through job shadowing.
Job shadowing is an opportunity for you to gain first-hand, real-world knowledge of a career by interacting with a local professional in your field of interest. This type of opportunity provides an space for you to observe, ask questions and discuss the job with a local employer. From there, you will work with your Delta College advisor to pursue the educational path to lead to that job.
To help match you to the best job shadow possible, we need to get to know you and your interests. contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 989-686-9443.
Learn While You Work with INTERNSHIPS & CO-OPS
If you have chosen your educational path, an internship or co-op opportunity can provide you with valuable experience and income while you are taking classes.
Benefits to workforce experience during college include:
- Solve real-world problems and issues you won’t find in a classroom or a textbook.
- Experience can give you a competitive advantage and is attractive to employers.
- You can test the waters. Be sure the career path you’re on is right for you.
- Improve personal communication skills, gain professional technical skills such as computer skills, and demonstrate you are a highly reliable and effective employee.
Internships are a form of learning that takes knowledge learned in the classroom and combines it with skills development in a workplace setting. Types of internships vary. They can be paid or non-paid and can last a few weeks or a full semester.
Co-op opportunities are partnerships between Delta and local businesses. These roles provide you with classroom learning and a hands-on learning experience at a business. You will gain practical experience in your field of study while taking classes.
Co-ops position require a one year commitment which typically begins in the fall. These jobs require an average of 20–25 hours per week, depending on the employer.
EASY AS 1-2-3
- Meet with an advisor to determine your career path.
- Contact email@example.com, 989-686-9443 to schedule a meeting. We need to know about your interest and schedule to determine if you need a co-op or internship.
- Our team will help connect you to open roles and what tools are available to help you prepare for your interview.
GET READY FOR EMPLOYMENT
Delta’s advising team has many resources to help get you prepared for that great job. Just ask!